Saturday, October 6, 2007

The Photograph.


Photographed By: Kamela M.



For years I have been searching for a photograph that I can regard as my favorite photograph. This search has come to an end. The photograph shown above is the most thought provoking image I have ever seen. The intense symbolism that this picture delivers is both beautiful and painful. The following is a small fraction of what I see through this photograph.

This photo is a metaphor that represents our societies twisted view of female beauty. Its as if the woman is desperately searching for her beauty amidst the fog, but the haze is introducing her to a wave of despair. She is overshadowed by a darkness which is choking out her beauty. She is a memory, but if you look into her eyes a hint of redemption surfaces. She knows she still has something to hide, a part of her is still valuable enough to be pursued. She's reevaluating her strategy. Her eyes are looking upward in anticipation, and contemplating the things to come.

This picture is a violent mix of both beauty and corruption. It is both elegant and dirty. It's beautiful and horrible, it instills fear and peace. It is screaming and silent. It is in these contrasting elements that this photograph contains its power.

*I'M LISTENING TO: Cold War Kids*

2 comments:

Kamela said...

I'm so honoured. Thanks. I never would have thought of any of that

hillschurch said...

Good analysis!
Good posts!
Keep it up!
M